Director of Special EducationDepartment:
Special Education FLSA Status:
4 - Contingent Upon ESC Salary Schedule
Education Service Center Region 15 is dedicated to excellence in education through leadership, partnership, and service.Position Purpose:
As a service organization, Education Service Center Region 15’s primary commitment is to provide superior support to every Local Education Agency (LEA) stakeholder served. Our people are our greatest asset. All staff in the Teaching and Learning program area believe it is imperative that all students have the same opportunity to learn no matter where they live or what school they attend. Therefore, the Teaching and Learning program area is committed to assisting our LEAs in the task of ensuring a proficient teacher is in every classroom throughout Region 15. As a member of the Teaching and Learning program area, you will assist in helping us achieve our vision of a proficient teacher in every classroom by providing our LEAs with high-quality support and resources.
This position reports to the Special Education Director and is responsible for leading and guiding the LEAs of Region 15 in research-based best practices relative to specific content of this position; while supporting a high performance culture that emphasizes excellence, quality, productivity, and standards.Essential Functions:
- Program Knowledge and Understanding: Exhibit deep content knowledge specific to Special Education Kg - 12th Grade; to provide continuity, coherence and effectiveness in the development of the teaching/learning process. Stay current and up-to-date on the most effective practices, skills and strategies that enhance knowledge and transfer of learning.
- Partnership, Support and Coaching: Design, deliver and facilitate content-specific, as well as, systemic best practice (e.g., campus-wide/district-wide) job-embedded professional development, including:
Culture & Growth: Contribute to maintaining and improving the culture of the ESC through customer service, respect for confidentiality, displaying self-initiative, and modeling a growth mindset through self-reflection and feedback reception.Major Duties/Responsibilities:
- Whole-group trainings that build a shared understanding of skills, practices, or systems and include opportunities for practice.
- Support for participants implementing a new skill, practice, or system within their context, including co-planning, observation, and real-time feedback.
- One-on-one coaching sessions that identify participant successes and develop their capacity to improve high-leverage areas of growth.