Director of Early Head Start/Head StartFLSA Status:
Contingent upon ESC Salary Schedule (Pay Grade 4)
Education Service Center Region 15 is dedicated to excellence in
education through leadership, partnership, and service.
As a service organization, Education
Service Center Region 15’s primary commitment is to provide superior support to
every Local Education Agency (LEA) stakeholder served. Our people are our greatest asset. As the Head Start/Early Head Start Purchasing Clerk,
this position will assist in cultivating a service focused culture within the
Head Start Department and amongst Head Start staff working in the schools we
serve by providing support and resources necessary to accomplish the ESC’s
values, mission, strategies, and goals.
This position reports to the Head Start/Early
Head Start Director and under general administrative direction, perform
clerical duties in the purchasing of materials, supplies, and equipment;
maintain accurate records; prepare regular reports; assist the Head Start/Early
Head Start programs with compliance for all federal Head Start guidelines and
local Head Start policies.
and Understanding: Exhibit deep knowledge specific to organization policy;
department policy; office administration procedures; and principles and
practices of sound business communication. Stay current and up-to-date on the
most effective technology applications, skills and strategies that will enhance
Partnership & Support: Assist the department to achieve
its mission by coordinating processes associated with work duties specific to the
department’s needs. Organize, coordinate, plan, and conduct departmental
events and assist with the set up and tear down process. Contributes to a work
environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of
skills to support the goals of the Education Service Center Region 15.
- Financial Management: Comply with all
financial requirements, regulations and procedures; ensuring accuracy in the
procurement and expense process. Assist
in the development, implementation, administration and management of funds to
ensure resources are used appropriately and are extensively regulated for the purpose of fiscal
efficiency. Support all realms of school
& Growth: Contribute to maintaining and improving the culture of
the ESC through customer service, respect for confidentiality, displaying
self-initiative, and modeling a growth mindset through self-reflection and
- Coordinate purchases of all goods and services for Head Start/Early
Head Start programs as set forth in accordance with the Texas Education Agency
Financial Accountability System Resource Guide, Texas Education Code, Texas
Local Government Code, Texas Government Code, and ESC Region 15 Purchasing
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure timely processing of all
requisitions, purchase orders, etc.
- Work closely with all department/program staff to ensure purchasing
needs are being met.
- Maintain accurate and complete purchasing records as required by board
policy, program administrative regulations, Texas Education Agency (TEA)
requirements and/or other governing agencies.
- Review requisitions for proper coding and preliminary approval.
Prepare and process requisitions.
- Confer with vendors to obtain product or service information such as
price, availability, and delivery schedule.
- Process purchase orders and send appropriate
- Expedite delivery of goods and/or services to appropriate
- File office copies of checks, requisitions, invoices, and purchase
- Keep records up to date.
- Process and maintain annual inventory records for the Head Start
office and all Early Head Start/Head Start campuses.
- Maintain inventory of all capitalized items.
- Complete purchasing related training as directed by the Director.
- Reconcile CACFP meal counts and attendance records.
- Claim for reimbursements and update Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) financial sampling tool.
- Submit monthly CACFP COVID waiver.
- Communicate effectively with clients and/or staff members, utilizing
- Demonstrate cooperation, consideration, and professional courtesy with
clients and staff members.
- Exhibit initiative by expressing opinions and suggesting changes.
- Utilize good judgment in making decisions appropriate for job
- Exhibit flexibility by adjusting to change.
- Perform assignments efficiently and without continuous supervision.
- Demonstrate proper and efficient use of center materials and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Start/Early Head Start
Director and/or Executive Director.
of basic purchasing procedures
skills to include network systems, desktop publishing, word processing software
accurately at a speed necessary to meet the requirements of the position
filing system skills
to explain and reach sound decisions in accordance with laws, regulations,
policies and procedures
to compose routine correspondence from brief instructions
- Use tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive situations
and concerned people and customers
- Possess efficiency in preparing clear, accurate and concise
records and reports
Robin Harmon, Director EHS/HS