1. High School Diploma or equivalent
2. Aptitude for the work to be performed
3. Interest in children and education
4. Desire to assist students with special needs in a learning environment
5. Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work
6. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board find appropriate
REPORTS TO /
Principal, Special Education / Title 1 / ESL / General
To assist, support, and work closely with teachers, administrators,
and other team members in providing educational benefit for students.
1. Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce
learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified
2. Assists the certified staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing
learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of
individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
3. Monitors work, corrects papers, and supervises curriculum-based testing
and makeup work as assigned by the certified staff.
4. Serves as the chief source of information and help to any guest teacher
assigned in the absence of the regular certified staff.
5. Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as
assigned by the certified staff.
6. Alerts the certified staff to any problem or special information about an
7. Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play
periods, and on field trips.
8. Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack time,
toileting, and clothing routines.
9. When requested, serves as a resource person to the General Education
Intervention Team and/or IEP / Title 1 / ESL Team(s). TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Approximately nine month working period
- Salary per salary schedule
- Position constitutes an employee at will of the Board, with a contract length
and salary to be established annually by the Board
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with
provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Classified Personnel.
- Fulfills the requirements of the Texas Paraprofessional Standards